Sunday, June 29, 2014

Liked the Statement from the Church

   Liked the statement issued yesterday by the First Presidency and Quorum of Twelve Apostles, I did. It affirmed only men are ordained to priesthood offices. But, the priesthood blessings are available to all men and women, it said, noting all church service has equal merit in the eyes of God.
   Yes, I wish those of the Ordain Women movement might the statement and abandon their drive for obtaining the priesthood. Who knows. Could they not recognize this is God's spokesmen on earth speaking, His prophets speaking for Him?
   I also greatly appreciate that the statement said, "We understand that from time to time Church members will have questions about Church history, or practice." I think it quite normal for members to have questions. Do the questions bring doubts? Often they do. But to assume that a person is on the road to apostasy just because questions arise seems a little much to me. "Members are always free to ask questions and earnestly seek greater understanding," says the statement. I find that comforting, for I am among those who have had questions. Of a truth
   For me, I have concluded there will always be questions, always be things I don't understand, things I do not get answered to my satisfaction. I think, though, of the stories in the Four Gospels of how those around Christ hardened their hearts, not considering the miracles already before there eyes. I think of the time, just after a miracle, when they asked Christ for a sign from heaven. God does not need to give me new miracles, nor new evidences. And, likewise, He does not need to answer every question I have in order for me to believe in His church, for He has given me evidences enough.
   For every reason not to believe the church, I have found a more compelling reason to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment