Saturday, May 25, 2013

In a Free Country, Those from Other Countries Should be Free

   Oh, I confess I am not against background checks for those wanting to immigrate to America, and I think it would be wonderful to figure out a way to screen out potential terrorists. But, yes, other than that I am in favor of what is termed "open borders." I even favor "amnesty," dirty as that word is to some.
  I just simply plainly honestly do not like it that we make it a crime to come to America. Really? In the land of the free it is illegal to freely exist? It is a crime to live and breath on American soil? In America, they make it illegal to come from another country? Oh, I know you are going to say they can come, they just have to do it legally. But, remember, I'm arguing for open borders (or at least more open borders), and that means pretty much everybody gets in. That means there isn't a waiting list, or a quota, or reasons for telling you you don't qualify.
   Doing it legally takes on a new meaning. If everybody qualifies, everybody comes. Screen out those with criminal backgrounds, and maybe even give all immigrants a probationary period, during which, if they break laws more than a speeding ticket, back they go. But everyone else? Tell them in America, they are free. Tell them our way of thinking is that life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are unalienable rights. A piece of paper doesn't grant those rights, for they are unalienable. And, the lack of a piece of paper cannot take them away.
  Some say, What part of the word "illegal" don't you understand? To them, I would reply, What part of the word "America" don't you understand?

No comments:

Post a Comment