Thursday, July 20, 2017

  Put America first? There might be times when this is good. But, I wonder.
  Would it be such a bad thing if we, as a nation, were as concerned about the economies of other nations as we were our own? What if we looked for ways to help the other nations, to improve their economies and help their people?
   There are scriptural injunctions suggesting that we place the welfare of others ahead of our own. "Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth." (I Corinthians 10:24)
   If we are to be concerned with others on an interpersonal level, I know not why we shouldn't strive to practice the principle when it comes to dealing with other nations.
   If we can get to a point where we care about others as much as we do about ourselves, that would be a wonderful thing. This is what we have been taught. We help our neighbors when we can. We aren't of a me-me-me mentality. Love thy neighbor as thy self means something to us. We strive to live up to it.
   If America is to gain back any greatness it might have lost, perhaps it should consider that true greatness lies in character, not in prosperity.
   I do not know where you draw the line. I don't know that such efforts as buying American products are wrong. I only suggest there might be reason for not adopting the philosophy of putting America first. And, I think how wonderful it would be if we, as a nation, did take the scriptural injunctions, and apply them. Let no nation seek its own, but other nations' wealth. Love thy neighboring nation as thy self. Can you imagine such a nation, that lived to such a high standard? I don't know that such a country has ever existed, but think it would be a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment