Saturday, May 27, 2023

Can I Have You Sign My Horses' Rights Petition?

   If I were to break a leg, I would hope you all wouldn't come along and euthanize me.

   Horses? Not so lucky. If a horse breaks a leg, they put it down. The horse is so large and its legs so fragile, the broken leg would never recover.

   Me? I'm an old man. I lost full use of my legs years ago. I once ran every day -- so much that you could say running was just who I was. It was me -- just like the horse. But now? Too much weight. My body is too heavy. If I take some of the weight off, I can walk much better. So I walk around on a walker all day.

  Oh, making a walker or a wheelchair for a horse might seem impractical, but I wonder if we should. I think of all the animals in our lives. How we literally love them. How we often refer to them as humans. Yes, we laughingly say they are just as human we are, and though its partly a joke, we kind of believe it.

   With the coming of social media, we see Facebook post after Instagram post after tweet of animals acting so much like humans that we swear they must be. We look at them in wonder and awe. And love.

  And, if you don't put a human down -- if we are thought to be too precious to ever be given a lethal injection every time we break a leg -- maybe we should treat the horse the same way.

  Where's that petition for animal rights? I want to sign it. A horse has the right to life when it breaks a leg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment