Saturday, December 26, 2015

In the Name of Humanity, let the Children in

   It seems it would be news if just one such child migrated on his own. Jon Smith Figueroa Acosta, age 6, traversed 2,000 miles from Honduras without his parents.
  "Estoy solo" (meaning, "I'm alone"), he told Seth Robbins, reporter for the Associated Press. 
   As a new wave of child immigrants flood the borders, we again reflect on the marvel of children braving the elements and hardships on their own in order to reach America. They come not with parents, but often to join parents.
   Should we reject them, or throw our arms around them? I think of Luis Arias Dubon, 15, who said he left Honduras because he was threatened by the 18th Street gang. Do we question that story, wondering if he just made it up to gain our sympathy? Or, do we say, "Whatever your reason, you are welcome."
   I am with those who suggest we should let the children in. I am with those who marvel at their coming on their own. If there is any law that prohibits them, or deports them back, why should we not remove it? To me, you care for the children. You let them in. And, you invite them to come accompanied by adults in your new law, lest you encourage them to travel alone.
   You rush to make this law, in my view. If you are a member of Congress, you plead with your fellow Congress members to show mercy for the children. If you have opposed loosening immigration laws, you cry, "Uncle" and say you cannot bear to see the children suffer this way.
   A civilized society, a humane people, a Christian nation must surely see that it must accept these children. It must be embarrassed if any law stands in their way.
   I pause, and consider the situation in Israel, where children have attacked the Israelis. Yes, I wonder but what they were put up to doing such acts, knowing that there would be a cry out if they were arrested. I wonder, then, if the children coming from Central America are also being put up to the act. I do not know. I say let them in, anyway. If they commit a crime of harm, punish them for it. But, if the only harm is that they arrive without our invitation, without our permission, let them in.
   Paul McCartney sang a song, saying, "Someone's knocking at the door. Someone's ringing the bell. Do me a favor, and let 'em in." I've never thought of it as a children's song, but maybe it is. Until now, I've never supposed he was talking about children, but maybe he was.



No comments:

Post a Comment