Saturday, July 13, 2019

I Wait to See if the Deseret News Will Publish My Comment

  Below a Deseret News article on how undocumented people live in fear of ICE agents -- even without the current raids -- I submitted a comment, only to be told it has been put on hold for further review. The Deseret News does have rules on civility, and on being overly speculative and such. By suggesting I do not know some things, but wonder about them, I may have been drawn the flagging. At any rate, now I wait to see if the comment will be published.

I wrote:

One wonders at the harm of allowing Laura and Janet and their families to stay. They seem to be wonderful people. Why would we deport them? (Because they do not have paperwork, of course.) I do not know if they were asylum applicants, but, if they are, we should let them stay based on the merits of whether they qualify, which I am guessing are probably great. They may be here illegally, but the law still allows them to apply for asylum, and you should still be fair and just in rendering decisions on whether they stay.  If there is something in the law that punishes them for coming, or overstaying their visas, then apply that punishment. I wonder if there even is. So, we get so worked up about poor people fleeing from other countries that we say they shouldn't be allowed asylum. We call it a loophole. I do wonder if we could find a little more charity for the poor who come here.
-- John Jackson, also once known as Immifriend, but the DesNews no longer lets me use those tags.

No comments:

Post a Comment