Thursday, July 11, 2019

Let the Inland Port Authority Allow the Public at its Meetings

  The governor called on people of goodwill to denounce the way protesters conducted themselves in a rally against the Utah Inland Port Authority.
  Borderline terrorism, he called it.
  I read the story hurriedly, searching to determine what acts of violence occurred. "Punches were thrown in several clashes with police," says the Deseret News story. And, later in the story I learn both the protesters and the police threw punches.
 Pushing police away might be considered throwing punches. A light jab to the chest is surely to be considered a punch. I guess, I wonder how serious the punches were and wish someone would have recorded the protest.
  Where was social media, this time?
 I wonder if "borderline terrorism" is too harsh a judgment, but do not know for not knowing exactly what the violence was.
 I also wonder whether the Port Authority was holding a meeting, and whether the public, along with the protesters, were excluded. I read how there has been no meeting since the one last month, and that no meeting has been scheduled for this month because of the protesters, But, I also read, "the port authority was holding a stakeholder meeting at the same time."
  "Stakeholder meeting," you call it. That does make me wonder if you are holding your meeting, not even advertising that you are meeting -- just putting a disguise on it and holding it anyway.
  No, violence is not good. I do not endorse or condone even slight violence on behalf of the protesters. But, I wish for a video to know how severe the violence was.
  And, I do not agree with the Inland Port Authority meeting without the public being invited. The public's business should be taken care of with the public allowed to enter.

No comments:

Post a Comment