Thursday, July 4, 2019

The Last Person We Would Call an American Might be the Best

 On this Fourth, I salute those who most embody the American spirit, coming to this country in search of freedom, with a love of this nation in their hearts, and a joy to be reunited with family already here. I salute those coming to work for bottom dollar. I salute those who are poor and humble and God-fearing.
  And, I salute those who face an oppressive and unjust ruler.
  This time, it is not the rulers of their own lands, but the one in America who fights and persecutes them. It is ironic, to me, that President Trump is wrapping himself in the American flag this day, holding perhaps the grandest military display in history as a gesture to say, America equals me and I equal America and patriotism this day is ours.
  The last person on his list of patriots? Surely the unwelcome immigrant, coming in search of asylum. A salute to them on this day would surely draw our leader's wrath.
   Yet, it is many of them who are the builders of this nation. It is they who labor where no one else will labor. It is they who earn their living by the sweat of the brow. While Trump represents the aristocrats who oppress the poor, they are the poor and the humble.
   This day, as I celebrate the Fourth, I tip my hat to those we shame, to those we disown, to those we decry as being the least Americans of all, to those we yell at, saying, Go back where you came from.
   I salute them. We deny them the right to be called Americans, and make it as difficult as possible for them to ever achieve the right to remain here, but it is they who embody what America is about.
   Patriotism honors them -- or should.

No comments:

Post a Comment