Wednesday, February 19, 2020

If Trump Commands the Courts, He Will Command the Nation

  When a president threatens to take over the judicial system of the United States, and turn it into a prosecutorial arm for those who oppose him, that nation ought to see a pathway leading to dictatorship. Whether it goes that far may yet to be seen. But, the carpet is rolled out.
  When a president calls for all cases stemming from the Mueller Report to be thrown out, that nation should see a blatant effort to not only discredit all the work the Justice Department has done, but a blatant effort to set one's own political cronies free.
   Recognize the truth for what it is. Freedom is fleeing the nation that yawns when its president threatens to take over the judicial system. If you control the judicial system, and can prosecute all your opponents, and set free all your henchmen -- that certainly is the beginning of a dictatorship. You let a president go there, and there is little to stop him. He who rules the courts, rules how much power he has. He can take it all, for no court can stop him. He who commands the courts, commands the nation.
   Here, then, is the quote: 
   "I'm allowed to be totally involved. I'm actually, I guess, the chief law enforcement officer in the country. But I've chosen not to be involved."
    If that quote doesn't scare you, it certainly scares me. Not just because of the words, but because of the background they come from -- because of the actions that accompany them.
   What is happening it real. It isn't a lie.
   I do not take the quote lightly, not when I see how he much he already has been involved. Yes, I take the threat of him pardoning his political friends as as real, and unjust, and as the mark of a dictator.
   I wonder at us, that we would hear he wants to throw out all the cases against his political friends, and somehow think that that is just. I surely do look at the Mueller Investigation as being honest, and wish more people would stand up and defend it. Instead, it is being played as being dishonest, and unjust.
   Yes, I am amazed at what is going on in our land.

No comments:

Post a Comment