Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Living Past 100 and the Stars Who do so

  With the passing of Kirk Douglas at age 103, I search and find there are a number of living celebrities who are centurions.
   Rock stars? Not so much. They do not seem to have long lives. I see a list that says Fats Domino is the oldest, only to learn that the list is old, and he died in 1917, at age 89.
   I wonder about athletes. I don't know whether there are many, but I do learn John Henderson, who played football at the University of Texas, is still alive at 107. In fact, his wife, who is but one year younger, is still alive, making them the world's oldest-living couple. That both are still alive would seem to indicate there is something they shared in living together that has led them to long lives.
  Lack of stress? That's my guess.
  I also wonder about runners, since I like to run, and learn Fauja Singh is the only person ever known to have run a marathon after age 100. And, at age 108, he still walks five miles a day. I do not know whether Singh ran when he was younger, and that is really what we wonder. Does a life of running lead to death? Singh is an indication, but we would need to know if there are many centurions among those who ran a lot when they were younger. At any rate, Singh's having run a marathon at age 101 didn't kill him, as he remains alive seven years later.
   As I start to end this blog, I go back, again, and search for musicians. And, the oldest I find is Abdul "Duke" Fakir, the last surviving member of the Four Tops, who is still alive at 84. Of Ethiopian and Bangladeshi ancestry, I note he ran track and played football and basketball while in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment