Friday, December 24, 2010

Is it, Have a Merry Christmas, or a Holy One?

I've thought all week of the greeting, "Have a merry Christmas." We wonder about Christ being taken out of Christmas, don't we? Well, last week, it occurred to me "Have a merry Christmas" is not necessarily a greeting expressing Christmas being about the birth of the Savior. The word "merry" sides more toward it being a day of festive, Santa Claus-type celebration.

So, am I playing into the game of taking Christ out of Christmas by greeting people with "Have a merry Christmas"? Should I, instead, offer something that would indicate Christmas is about Christ? Maybe I could say, "Have a very holy Christmas."

As Christmas, itself, draws almost here, I find myself coming to the conclusion it is quite all right that Christmas is not just about Christ. For all the worthiness of keeping Christ in Christmas, I don't see a big need to take Santa out, either. So, no, I do not need to feel guilty for saying, "Have a merry Christmas."  Saying "Have a holy Christmas" would be fine, and would reflect that it is a day honoring the Savior for His birth. But, Christmas has come to also mean other things -- to mean Santa and all -- and some people simply do choose to have the day mean no more. I can respect that by offering "Have a merry Christmas" as my greeting. This does not prevent me from honoring the Savior on Christmas day. Christmas can remain, for me, a day for observing the Savior's birth.

It simply isn't such a day to many, though, and I should respect their right to worship (or not worship) as they choose. While offering "Have a very holy Christmas" can be no more than a reflection of my own beliefs, and therefore not wrong, it might also be argued that by telling a person to have a holy Christmas, I am telling that person to observe Christmas my way, to observe it as a day in honor of the Savior's birth.

If I do greet a non-believer with, "Have a holy Christmas," I would hope they will not take offense, but rather realize I am expressing my own beliefs and expressing what Christmas means to me. Freedom of religion should allow me to express my beliefs whenever and wherever I choose.

But having a right does not always mean exercising it is right. We shouldn't do things simply because we can. In this case, I expect I will usually choose "Have a merry Christmas" as a way of being considerate of others.

And, I may well (probably will) continue with "Have a merry Christmas" even when speaking to those who I know are believers.  They know Christmas for me is a day honoring the Savior's birth. So when I say, "Have a merry Christmas," they know that is what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment