Friday, May 13, 2011

Forgiveness in My Heart for Two Politicians

Two politicians asked for my forgiveness this past week, and I frankly forgave them both.

There was Beau Babka a day or two ago. Beau actually didn't ask for forgiveness, that I noticed, but he did say he was sorry as he pled guilty to taking, what? $120 in gas, charging a personal expense to the taxpayers on his account as a Cottonwood Heights Police Department officer.

Beau has run for Congress and for county sheriff. Should he run for anything again, I would consider voting for him, maybe even be inclined.

Then there was Newton Gingrich. He announced he is running for president. Now, this Newt was once a star on the American landscape, co-authoring the contract with America, serving as speaker of the House from 1995-1999. Back in the day, he helped reform welfare, contributing to the enactment of workfare legislation, and pressured President Clinton for the balanced budget in 1999, the first balanced budget in 30 years. Unemployment fell to 4.2 percent in Newt's term and we had the lowest rate of government spending in decades.

Of course I'll consider voting for him. Of the top, I have him ahead of Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman, President Obama and the rest. He's the one I favor as they break from the gates.

Course, I realize he has been married three times, with the last marriage coming out of an affair he had at the time he was a lead Republican looking into accusations Clinton was having affairs with Paula Jones and Monica Lewinsky.

And, there were the ethics charges, maybe 85 of them, 84 of which were dropped, but he was found guilty of failure to seek legal advice and providing information he knew was inaccurate. Hmm, clean on 84 of 85, with what is left including simply a failure to seek legal advice? Before the election comes -- and there's plenty of time -- I will want to go back and find out what that was all about.

Guess Gingrich didn't really ask for forgiveness, either (from what I caught of the news). But, he won't get elected without it. He's got it from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment