Monday, January 7, 2013

Spring City Wants a Gun in Every Household
   Here's the exact opposite thing from what I'd like to see happen: Spring City has the notion everyone should go out and buy a gun. They thought about passing an ordinance requiring gun ownership, but then thought better of that, and now are just considering asking the good folks to make sure there's at least one gun in every household.
   Every home needs a refrigerator, a stove, and a gun. I've heard that in the rental advertisements down there, when they say an apartment comes with all amenities, it means that along with the washer and dryer, the place comes stocked with a gun. (Just kidding, of course.)
   Me, I've been saying that I'm all for those in risky places having guns . . . and I wouldn't outlaw them . . . and, I'm not in favor of gun control. But, as you know, I hardly like guns. My thought is, we have too many of them laying around, and they too easily fall into the wrong hands.
   But, you know, a gun in every kitchen just might work. The idea's been tried before, and it came out mighty fine. In 1982, Kennesaw, Georgia, passed an ordinance requiring every head of household to own a gun and ammunition to go with it.
   Burglaries decreased, and to this day Kennesaw has the lowest crime rate in all of Cobb County.
   Here's my thought on that: There is, indeed, going to be a fear factor for criminals if they know in advance they are breaking into a home where a gun is going to greet them. If I were a criminal, and I had a choice between doing my burglary shopping in Kennesaw or in nearby Acworth, think I'd head over to Acworth.
   But, all this doesn't negate the negatives of too many guns. It's still a fact that 600,000 of them are stolen every year in America. It's still a fact that a good chunk of crimes are committed with stolen guns. And, it's probably true a few criminals wouldn't go a criminalizing if they didn't have a gun waiting in their closets. It's definitely true many suicides would not be a happening but for a handy gun. And, it's probably true some amount of our domestic violence murders would never take place but for ready availability of a gun in the home.
   I go one step further. I say not always, but sometimes the gun is a tempting and harmful influence. All our hobbies and toys affect us. All have a sway. There are only so many things you can do with a gun, and it is from that list of possible uses that the influences of a gun must come. You could leave heroine on the counter, and nine out of ten church-goers who had never before touched drugs wouldn't go near it.
   But sooner or later, someone would. Why do we suppose guns are any different? I say, in places where we don't need them, we are better off without them. 
   
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865570152/A-gun-in-every-household-Utah-town-drafting-a-resolution.html

No comments:

Post a Comment