Thursday, May 23, 2013

 What to do with Guantanamo Bay?

  Guantanamo Bay. No, I'm not well acquainted with this issue, but I have some preliminary thoughts -- and questions.
   First, I understand those in the camp are awaiting trial. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding. For how many years? No human being should be imprisoned for 10 years -- what a large chunk of life -- without his or her case coming to trial. No one. Our Constitution promises people a speedy trial, and, while it can be argued these are not Americans, and therefore do not have the right to a speedy trial, it should be noted the rights of the Constitution, for the most part, express what every human should have, how every human should be treated. That is why they are in the Constitution.
   You don't treat yourself one way and other people another.
   Are others in the camp, besides those awaiting trials? If so, why, and for how long? Do we justify holding political prisoners indefinitely? Are they merely political prisoners? Or does the fact they are potential terrorists make them more?
   What of the Geneva Convention? I do not know the specifics, but I understand President Bush argued the Geneva Convention does not apply? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment