Friday, April 19, 2019

You cannot Legislate the Gun out of Existence

You cannot legislate the gun out of existence. I do not say a ban would not benefit. Nor do I say it would -- at least for this moment I don't. For I do not know. But, this thought follows me: If you have a heart of hate, it will seek out the tools of hate. It is said, you cannot legislate righteousness, and I do not know.

I think of the scriptures, and of how they make rules against hate. These are "laws," if you will.  So, we need not too quickly assume that laws calling for righteousness are wrong. Still, the enforcement of these "laws" should not be so strong as to disable the ability to disobey them.

And, as long as people remain allowed to hate, they will. And, as long as they hate, they will seek out the tools of hate. The gun cannot be banished by government decree. At least, not alone, it can't.

For the gun to be gone, the heart must be changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment