Tuesday, March 3, 2020

President David O. McKay Preached Against Communism

  "It looks as if Russia will have a government 'by the people, of the people, and for the people," someday-to-be-president David O. McKay told listeners at a General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
   However, he soon saw the dangers of communism, and even came to call it treason to support it.
  A famous quote by him says, "The position of this church on the subject of communism has never changed. We consider it the greatest satanical threat to peace, prosperity, and the spread of God's work among men that exists on the face of this earth."
   And so, I am left to consider on communism, to reflect on what President McKay was referring to. I would that he had specified what things are contrary to our beliefs. Perhaps, if I were to study, I should find out.
  I do know the church's message was not allowed in the Soviet Union. Freedom of religion was not allow. Freedom of conscience was challenged. What you believed -- or were entitled to believe -- was but the beliefs of the state. You worked not to better your own lot in life, but as a drone of the government. I do not know whether family life was curbed, but I understand communism can mean families are somewhat dissolved in favor of a larger, communal raising of children.
   These things I can see are wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment