Saturday, August 8, 2020

The Famines of Our Day are of Biblical Proportions

   Why not this as one of the biblical signs of our day that we are living in the end of times? Has there ever been a famine like the Great Chinese Famine of 1958-62? I am not student enough to know. But, I do know the Chinese Famine was a terrible one.
  Guess how many died? Would you believe an estimated 20 to 43 million? That means there were two to four times as many deaths as there were in the holocaust, where 11 million suffered death.
   Anyway, after learning about the great famine in China, I turned to the scriptures, reading in Luke 21 of how the Savior prophesied that there would be ". . . famines and pestilences and fearful sights . . ." I thought of Africa, where the famines have been so large that they have long held the world's attention, and been a hallmark of our time. I think both of the large charity events, such as Live Aid 50 years ago, and of the lyrics in songs such as Toto's Down in Africa, where it says, "I bless the rains down in Africa."
   I read how even now, more than 20 million people in Yemen, the Horn of Africa, and Nigeria face famine. I would guess the word "face" means they are in danger of dying. How many have died? I do not know the death toll for just Yemen, the Horn of Africa, and Nigeria, but I read how 9 million die worldwide every year from famine. I go to a website that counts the current deaths this year, and it says we were at 5.5 million as of this writing.
   There have been famines throughout history, but I do wonder but what we are living in a day when they are worse than at many other times. 
   And, yes, I do believe they are a fulfillment of prophecy. The Great Chinese Famine is perhaps one of the greatest famines of all time, and it is surrounded by other famines, and they are coming in these days of wonder that could be drawing us close to the end of time. The Savior said the last days would be marked by famine. It is in the world around us. Should we not wonder, then, if this is not a sign of the the end of time? 

No comments:

Post a Comment