Saturday, October 16, 2021

No Harm in 'Diversity,' 'Equity,' and 'Inclusion'

I see an ad from The Heritage Foundation for a book titled "Critical Race Theory: Knowing It When You See It And Fighting It When You Can." From the ad, I learn that using words like "diversity," "equity," and "inclusion" are wrong -- or considered wrong by many conservatives. I find myself wondering if I have used these words. I mean no harm by using them. I do not have any hidden agenda. I simply believe in diversity. I believe in equity. I believe in inclusion. Should I be shamed for using those words? Does it make me a conspiracist? Does it mean I am contributing to the downfall of America? I'm afraid we are too quick to find fault in our society today. And, those things that are good are often portrayed as bad. Believing in diversity, equity, and inclusion are good things. To say they are harmful seems a strange twist. To suppose our schools that use of such words in their training are wrong makes me wonder who is indoctrinating who.
Still, the ad for this book says, "You know that critical race theorists are good at disguising their indoctrination. They often hide it behind words that sound harmless, like “'diversity,' 'equity,' and 'inclusion.' But there are other ways to identify critical race theory."

No comments:

Post a Comment