Monday, October 3, 2022

Such Lazy Practices Do not Reflect Well on Law Enforcement

   I spoke to a lady today who was in court on a charge from 2016. She had been in St. George at the time, and moved to Salt Lake just after that. She was surprised to find she had even been charged with a crime. Someone had forged her identity and committed the crime in her name.

  Here's my point -- or my first point: the police have access to drivers' license records; why not just look her up, find out her new address, and arrest her? My friend is not alone, many people have outstanding warrants that could be cleared up quickly if the police simply looked up the public records on them. But, instead, police wait until they pull them over on traffic charges, not taking action until then.

  My second point is that the police should have went after the real criminal. Once my friend told them it was not her, they should have reopened the case and searched for the person who really committed the crime. Is it just easier to stick with the innocent victim and not pursue the real criminal? 

  Such lazy practices do not reflect well on our law enforcement agencies.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment