Saturday, October 27, 2018

Was Cesar Sayoc but Practicing His First Amendment Rights?


On Facebook, someone writes, in a comment on the dummy mail bombings: "I support these so called American terrorists. They are embracing the exact same mentality and patriotic fervor which motivated our founding fathers toward ACTION." 
  I reply:
"I have some reservations that I am still thinking on, Heather Sidwell, but I do consider on what you say. I read how Cesar Sayoc did not want to kill anyone, did not want to hurt anyone. I think that wonderful of him. We cannot doubt him, for none of the devices were made to actually explode. So, is he so different from our nation's founders, who, as you note, 'dumped something like 340 crates of tea into the Boston harbor and threatened the British Magistrate and his soldiers with life and limb . . . ?'
"There can be an argument that Sayoc was but expressing himself in accordance with his First Amendment rights. If no violence was intended, nor possible, do we say he was but practicing his free speech rights? And, that if you shut him down or prosecute him, you shut down and prosecute his First Amendment rights?

No comments:

Post a Comment