Tuesday, October 2, 2018

On the Kavanaugh Question, One Misstep Follows Another

  I believe I am being fair in my thoughts on the Kavanaugh affair. But, I do find cause to pause and wonder, what with blog after blog blasting Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.
  Am I being fair?
   I almost joined the bandwagon condemning Dianne Feinstein for her failing to release the Christine Blasey Ford information quicker. But, after thinking it through, I concluded the attack on Feinstein was unwarranted.
   And, I blogged as much.
   There can be a tendency to go out of your way to be fair and balanced, to make sure you spot some nice things to say with all the criticism you offer.
   Why am I not finding anything nice to say about Kavanaugh, and about how the Republicans have conducted themselves? Is it because there isn't much -- if anything -- good about the way they have conducted themselves?
   I think of one of the Republican defenses of Kavanaugh, of how sexual offenders do not quit and a pattern of misconduct follows them through their lives.
   And yet their are no touches of misconduct being told from Kavanaugh's after-college life, not a single accusation of sexual misconduct.
   Now, I wonder if we could expect the same pattern in political misbehavior. When a politician goes bad, does he (or she) follow one blunder with another, does one stumble lead to another? Now, it is not that there are not good things about these Republicans. There are things I have liked about Mitch McConnell, Orrin Hatch, Lindsey Graham and Chuck Grassley. But, on the Kavanaugh question, I have disliked their behavior time after time after time.
   So, compare the fact they have done good to the evident fact Kavanaugh has treated women better since he finished college. And, compare the fact they have stumbled time after time to the probable fact that Kavanaugh stumbled more than once while in high school and college.
   When you get on the wrong foot, you take more than one step in the wrong direction. The first step creates a pattern and one step is in sync with the past one. So, that I am seeing wrong after wrong in how the Republicans are conducting themselves poorly might because they set their minds in one direction, and that mind frame hasn't changed, so they continue off in the same direction.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment