Thursday, October 25, 2018

This, too, is Unity -- Loving Those You Disagree With

   There are calls for unity in our land, and of course I believe unity would be a wonderful thing. Some of these calls, though, suggest we should put behind us such things as the Kavanaugh dispute, and put behind us the take-a-knee controversy, and quit finding fault with President Trump.
  I'm going to edit it a little, but I share what I replied to one such poster. She is a wonderful person and I am glad to have been able to discuss this with her. I was speaking of the Kavanaugh affair when she suggested we forget about it and move on, as our nation needs to be united.  I replied (with slight changes):
   Bless you, Gloria. Peace is a good thing. Unity is a good thing. I wonder if there can be unity even when we disagree, for there will always be things Americans disagree on. We can love each other, and be united as one by listening to each other, and by tolerating each other's opinions, and by understanding each other's viewpoints. This, too, is unity. I would that we occasionally praised the other person for their opinions, even though those opinions might be at odds with our own. Instead of getting angry with the other person for having a viewpoint that doesn't match our own, it would be wonderful if we remained pleasant in our relations and warm with each other during our discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment