Monday, January 9, 2012

Obama Not Making End Run Around Congress

Ahh, so we jump to say President Obama is circumventing the Constitutional process with this new rule change allowing some immigrants to remain in the U.S. while waivers are being approved.

I'm among those who wondered about this, when I first heard of the rule change. What I've learned since then, though, leads me now to think that we were wrong. Obama is not making an end run around Congress.

Many a law has been written without every little detail being considered. My understanding is that the law does not spell out where the undocumenteds must be -- state side or in their home country -- so the administrators of the law must make that determination. In the past, they have required the person to return to their home country, but now they will allow the process to take place while they remain in America.

This sounds wise and legal and fair to me. I am not faulting Obama for the rule change based on what I know at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment