Sunday, July 22, 2012

Doing Business by the Voice of the People

Do you think public opinion should affect public policy?

I have a scripture -- a Mormon scripture -- that often affects my opinions. This scripture simply calls for honoring public opinion. I wonder if I cited it a couple months ago when the nation was discussing same-sex marriages. The nation is getting close to 50-50 on that topic, if I remember correctly. In addition to the near split, those who are same-sexed are very adamant, very convinced they are right. So indignant are they that, yes, I weigh this into my opinion. I do not want to oppress other people, nor even allow them to think we are oppressing them. (There is a scripture on avoiding the appearance of evil that plays into this.)

The scripture (the first one I referred to) also affects my opinion on a complete prohibition of alcohol.

But, what of marijuana? I continue to oppose the legalization of marijuana. The chorus against it has not risen high enough, yet, but probably will. Should the day come (when the day comes) that the people demand it, then so be it.

Mosiah 29:26-27

"Now it is not common that the voice of the people desireth anything contrary to that which is right; but it is common for the lesser part of the people to desire that which is not right; therefore this shall ye observe and make it your law -- to do your business by the voice of the people.

"And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you."

There are some issues I am not so quick to let go of, regardless of public opinion, though. Abortion being the one that comes to mind. Nor would I give up the fight to make more immigration legal. Both of those issues involve what I see as injustices against a portion of our people. I'm not so quick to take what I perceive as wrongs being committed against a people, and rights being deprived, and say I can go along with them.

1 comment:

  1. I think that if the voice of the people choose to change the definition of marriage there will be natural negative consequences, or as written in vs 27, "the judgments of God" will come. To date, every state that has put the issue to vote has upheld definition to be a man and a woman. Hoping results of WA state vote in November are common. I'm not sure I've ever had the opportunity to vote on whether abortion should be legal.

    ReplyDelete