Sunday, July 7, 2013

That the Works of God Should be Made Manifest

   More than once this week, as I have reflected on my brother, who suffers from mental illness, I have considered that I am having the opportunity to grow and become a better person. I am learning to be more meek and forgiving (I hope). And, it is I that have the opportunity of trying to interest him in things such as astronomy, in the hopes of easing his tendency to dwell in the paranoia. Each time these thoughts have come, I have said to myself, "No, this is not about me; it is about Michael. Anything I have the opportunity to learn or be or do or help with, is not worth having him go through what he is going through."

   Well, this morning, sitting in Sacrament Meeting, I thought of a scripture. It is found in John 9:1-3. I serve in a branch serving a rehabilitation center. So, the members are afflicted and ill. Well, I don't remember if I was thinking of someone in the branch, and how they are afflicted. I do not remember if I was thinking of how, sometimes, the stress of sin can debilitate a person's mind, and even their physical health. I do not remember if I was thinking of how, once ill, family members and others step in to serve and help. Maybe I was just thinking of Michael and the efforts of my siblings to help him, not thinking of a branch situation. Anyway, some of the words from John 9:1-3 came to my mind.
   "And, as Jesus passed by, He saw a man which was blind from his birth. And His disciples asked Him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him."
   What do you think that scripture means? Do you think it means that the man was born blind so that God might heal him, and that all the world might see the great work of the Savior in healing him? Perhaps. Yes, perhaps, but I think there might possibly be another meaning. That the man was blind, meant that family and friends had the opportunity to step in and help and serve him. Is not service to others, "the works of God"?
   So it is with my brother Michael and I and my brothers and sisters. Michael is ill, and we have the opportunity to step in and help him. That is the works of God. 
   Yes, I think that since Michael is ill, this is a time that the works of God might be manifest. And, those works are simply that I and my brothers and sisters have opportunity to be Christians toward him.

No comments:

Post a Comment