Friday, May 29, 2015

It is Not the Gun in the Hand that Counts, but the Gun in the Heart.

   Guns in the right hands, are good. Guns in the wrong hands, are not. Now, there is an asterisk next to the first statement, for guns can go afoul even when a good person bears them.

   Still, if the bearer of the gun has the right frame of mind, the chances of the weapon being misused are not likely. You tell me then, can we put a gun in a person's hand, and not have it lure him to its dark side? Can he remain  pure from the lust of wanting to use it? Can he utter what I shall call the Good Gunman's Creed?
    I wear not this gun because I want to use it, but in fear that I might have to. When the time comes to pull the trigger, I will not relish and enjoy the act, for the love of blood is not in my nature. Rather, I will lament, mourn and regret that I must use it. I will tear at any injury I must bring, to anyone, regardless whether they be villain and criminal. I value the life of all humankind, and seek not to harm any.
   I wear this gun not to intimidate, not to frighten the innocent, not to display or have power over anyone, and not to gain stature or respect. I wear it as a duty. If I pull the trigger, it will be of necessity, not with joy.
   Such could be the Good Gunman's Creed. When it comes to guns and whether they are good, it is not the gun in the hand that counts, but the gun that lies in the heart.

1 comment:

  1. I might change up the meme. There are so many ways it could be worded.
    "I would not that children bore guns, but that those who bore guns had the innocence of heart that children have."
    "I would not that children bore guns, but that those who bore guns had the innocent hearts that children have."
    "I would not put a gun in the hands of a child, but wish the heart of a child was in all those who bore guns."
    "I would not put a gun in the hands of a child, but wish a child's innocence of heart were in all those who bore guns."

    ReplyDelete