Thursday, May 7, 2015

Measure the Worth of Guns in these Two Situations

   As I turn to the Facebook page of Taulagi V. Matefeo (supposing it to be the same Taulagi V. Matefea who was shot and killed in Utah County), as I read of him having been a maintenance worker at McDonalds, as I see his picture -- I begin to see a real human.
   Not just a man who highjacked cars, was he. But, a human, one with struggles, one who reached out for help, one who needed help.
   As I read about the other man shot in Utah County, Christian Chichia, I learn it was not much more than a month ago he was in on drug charges. I learn he and his roommates had been up late watching the Mayweather fight and partying, and Chichia had left that morning to walk with someone.  He lived just buildings away, his building being of the same pattern as the one where he was shot. His roommates had told him that if he ever got locked out, to crawl over the balcony and use that entrance.
   So, it seems most probable that in his confused state, he simply thought he was at his own home, pounded on the door for his roommates to answer, and then -- as he had been told to -- crawled up a floor to the balcony to try that door.
   Was he less of a worth if he was a partaker of booze and drugs? Was Matefeo of less worth to us, that he had a troubled past, dotted with some crime?
   I lament the lose of these lives. I consider what would have happened if the shooters had not even had guns. In the case of the carjacking, police perhaps would have followed Matefeo home, arrested him, and got the car and returned it. We may not know for certain, but it seems likely it would have played out without so much violence. In the case of the home intrusion, Chichia would have soon realized he was in the wrong home and left. Instead, two people are dead. That is the bottom line. We might not know for certain in the carjacking, but there seems little question but what the presence of a gun in the homeowner situation only resulted in tragedy.

3 comments:

  1. So, where were you to help this poor carjacker in his time of need? Why didn't you send your wife down to Macy's to give this human a ride home? Why not just give him one of your cars?
    I'm glad to see that myopia is still alive and well. My hope is that next time, and there will be many next times, a criminal like Matefeo or Chichia decide to break into a home or assault a female and steal her car, it is your home and either your wife or daughter. Then I'm sure you will wrap you kind, loving arms around them and get them the help they so badly need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could have given him a ride home. Would have saved a life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have given him a ride home. Would have saved a life.

    ReplyDelete