Tuesday, June 28, 2016

You all Come on Out, because this Election will be a Grand Celebration

   I searched out a voting site tonight and voted, all the while thinking how encouraging voting by mail might be exactly the opposite approach I'd have us take.
   Voting by mail makes election day less of an event, less of an occasion.
   As I left, I quipped to the poll workers that I'd ask them how they voted, but that I knew electioneering was not allowed. I thought on that as I drove away, wondering if there ever had been a day when politicians made their pitches right close to the voting sites.
   And, I'll bet that was more exciting.
   So, there might be more than just vote-by-mail that we are doing that takes the punch out the process of punching out a voting ticket.
   Me? If it were up to me? I'd suggest a voting festival. Rather than remove contact with each other, piece by piece, I'd bring us all together, complete with the candidates. I'd make election day more of an event, more of an occasion. I'd have debates, and discussions, and speeches and bands and music.
   You all come on out, because were having an election, and it's going to be one grand celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment