Thursday, May 24, 2018

Those Who would give up Liberty for Safety Deserve Neither?

   As I search to find reason for not placing metal detectors in our schools, I think of this quote, from Benjamin Franklin:
   "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
   I do wonder at us, if we let this quote stand in the way. It's a good quote, and a nice sentiment. I just wonder if someone thinking metal detectors are a good idea might have second thoughts upon hearing Ben Franklin's words.
   Me? I think it is wise to have the metal detectors regardless of Franklin's quote. The best thing to do, is the best thing to do, even the same.
   And, the logic of the quote might not apply. What if we feared a hurricane were coming, and were told to button down the hatches, but we realized that to hole up at the expense of going out on the town that night would mean surrendering our freedoms?
   I cannot see the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment