Thursday, May 23, 2019

We Wouldn't Think of Thanking Them for Their Service

 I honor the fallen veterans. I honor the veterans who lived. I honor the veterans of long-past wars, and those who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.
  When I meet a veteran, I most usually thank him or her for his or her service.
   But, I also honor the firefighter. I honor the police officer. I honor the teacher. I honor the farmer. I honor the farm laborer. I honor the medical worker. I honor the care-center employee.
   When I see a care center worker, I sometimes praise him or her for their service.
   Can I go back to the farm laborer? Our nation extends not enough love to its farmers. Those who provide our food basket are to be thanked and praised. And, some of the workers are immigrants -- some undocumented immigrants.
   Now, I certainly like it that we have Memorial Day, honoring those who have died in the service of our country. I would not object if we had a day honoring those in other honorable professions: Teachers, homeless-shelter workers, medical technicians, etc.
   If none other, perhaps the teacher should receive a day of honor.
   But, if we stretch deep enough into the field of honorable professions, we will reach the farm laborer. And some of them are "illegal."
   Would we loathe the thought of honoring them with a holiday? Some of us would. I will only say, they are in an honorable profession. Theirs is a service. Theirs is a heavy labor that benefits our country. They work long, hard hours at low, low pay. As much as anyone, they are the workhorses of our nation.
   And, instead of thanking them, we spurn them; We spite them.

No comments:

Post a Comment