Friday, June 7, 2019

I do not Oppose Their Coming

   I don't oppose them, these immigrants. They are just poor people wanting to come to America. Some might carry Mexican flags with them. I have no objection. They can retain a pride for their homeland, a love for their homeland. I would not force them to renounce it. I do not ask a man to be like me, to speak like me, nor to renounce the traditions of his fathers. To me, when that flag of America waves, it symbolizes not conformity, not the requirement to "assimilate," but the right to choose your own language, and to honor the traditions of your fathers as much as those found here. I would look at their poverty, look at their desire to work, and to join their families, and I would say, "Come on in; Why should I oppose your coming?"

No comments:

Post a Comment