Sunday, July 26, 2020

Chiasmus Attests to Truth of Book of Mormon


   The Chiasmus in Alma 36 is one of the most compelling evidences of the truth of the Book of Mormon, and thus also of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Chiasmus is an old Hebrew writing form. The writer says a number of things, then repeats them in reverse order, the center thought being the most important.
   Joseph Smith never made mention of the chiasmus in Alma 36. We must assume he didn't even know of it. Having consulted with more official lists, here is where my list is at now.

"My son, give ear to my words." - Verse 1
"Now this is according to his word." - Verse 30

"Inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land." - Verse 1
"Inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land." - Verse 30

"I would that ye should do as I have done." - Verse 2
"For ye ought to know as I do know." - Verse 30

"In remembering the captivity of our fathers." - Verse 2
"Ye ought to retain in remembrance their captivity." -Verse 29

"For they were in bondage." - Verse 2
"Delivered them out of bondage and captivity." - Verse 29

"None could deliver them except it was the God of Abraham." - Verse 2
"He will still deliver me." - Verse 29

"Whosoever shall put their trust in God." - Verse 3
"I do put my trust in him." - Verse 27

"Shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions." - Verse 3
"I have been supported under trials and troubles of every kind, yea, and in all manner of afflictions." - Verse 27

"Shall be lifted up at the last day." - Verse 3
"He will raise me up at the last day." Verse 28

"I know of myself -- not of the temporal but of the spiritual, not of the carnal mind but of God." - Verse 4
"And the knowledge which I have is of God." - Verse 26

"If I had not been born of God." - Verse 5
"Many have been born of God." - Verse 26

"God has, by the mouth of his holy angel made these things known unto me." Verse 5
"For because of the word which he has imparted unto me." - Verse 26

"Not of any worthiness of myself." - Verse 5
"In the fruit of my labors" - Verse 25
(I might be stretching to include this one, as they are somewhat opposite. Still, they both reflect on his involvement in the process.)

"God sent his angel to stop us by the way." - Verse 6
"Yea, from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing that I might bring souls unto repentance." - Verse 24
(Both verses refer to the moment he changed.)

"For behold, he spake unto us." - Verse 7
"The word which he has imparted unto me." - Verse 26

"The fear of the Lord came upon us." - Verse 7
"The knowledge which I have is of God." - Verse 26

"I could not open my mouth." - Verse 10
"I . . . did manifest unto the people." - Verse 23
(This one refers to the use of mouth and speaking to God, albeit in one case he couldn't and the other he did.)

"Neither had I use of my limbs." - Verse 10
"My limbs did receive their strength again." - Verse 23

"The angel spoke more things unto me." - Verse 11
"Yea, methought I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon his thrown." - Verse 22
(In both cases, he speaks of his vision.)

"My soul was harrowed up." - Verse 12
"I was harrowed up by the memory." - Verse 19

"I did remember all my sins." - Verse 13
"The memory of my sins." - Verse 19

"Pains of a damned soul." - Verse 16
"Joy as exceeding as was my pain." - Verse 20
"Jesus Christ, a son of God." - Verse 17
"Jesus, thou son of God." - Verse 18

These three links might have better listings than mine. I do have others in my list, but they aren't concisely in order and I better conclude this email. The last of these three links is from the church website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment