Saturday, July 11, 2020

To Me, the Promise of the Gospel is not that We can't, but that We can

   It is said that perfection cannot be attained in this life. To me, though, the promise of the gospel is not that we can't, but that we can. Rather than saying, You can't do that, so don't even try, I believe in a gospel that says, If Christ did it, then so can you. Christ may have achieved perfection on his first shot, so to speak. For us, it will take many, many shots before we get there.
  I love the Savior for his example. He came to earth and lived a spotless life, providing us with an example that it can be done, showing us that it is possible. If one Person can do it, why not others?    He told us that we should attempt to be like Him. "What manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am," says a scripture of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (3 Nephi 27:27).  What manner of Man was He? He was perfect. "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect," says Matthew 5:48, and though the word "perfect" would more precisely have been translated, "complete," "finished," or "fully developed," I don't know that that makes a difference. How complete, finished, or fully developed was the Savior? Even to the point of being perfect.
   Does He ask me to be like Him? I don't rush off, saying that is too much. Rather, I thank Him for pushing me forward. I thank Him for having such faith in me.
   To me, the glory of the gospel is knowing that I can be as complete and as finished as the Savior. I can be perfect. Some would tell me it isn't possible, I believe the gospel is telling me I can. There is nothing so wonderful as this, the very Lord telling me I can be perfect.
   In some ways, it is like a coach telling a kid he can grow up and play in the Super Bowl and win it. Another coach might come along and say, Hey, kid, it can't be done. Don't even try. You'll just beat yourself up trying, and end up frustrated.
   I don't see Christ as that coach. I see Him as a Coach who says I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment