Wednesday, September 2, 2020

I Wonder at Cases Such as that of Damien Evans

  Do we dismiss this just as another hardened criminal, shot dead by police because he was fleeing police? Damien Evans became the 17th person killed by Utah police a week ago. That's two more such killings than in all of 2019 and a third of our year still lies ahead.
   I wonder at the pace of the killings, and I wonder at how it has picked up. I wonder at it picking up at the very time the issue is fracturing the nation. I think of the officers, and how they have become resolute in feeling their shooting these people is justified.
   I think of the the how it is that most would dismiss Damien Evans. He had a criminal record going back to  2003. He was running. He had a criminal record. He was wanted on a parole violation. He was fleeing. He reportedly pulled his gun on officers.
   What more do you want? Clearly, there's reason for killing him. Clearly, he's a bad guy.
   I wonder.
   Not that Evans wasn't "a bad guy," but how bad? I have learned how ex-cons can be trapped in the system, small offenses sending them back and back and back to prison, till they think they have no escape and develop a mortal fear of going back again.
   And, see no way out.
   And, flee arrest.
   And, are shot and killed..
   I think of video after video I have seen, of officers killing these people who flee from them. I watch them, and I can't see the victim's being a threat to the police. The officers insist their lives were endangered. They insist they had to kill or be killed.
   But, I wonder.



No comments:

Post a Comment