Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Let the Children and Their Parents in, all of Them

    Give us 125,000. We need no less. President Biden signed an executive order this week, holding the cap on refugees to 15,000. I do not even know if those from Mexico, Venezuela and the Northern Triangle even typically make their way here as "refugees." I do know there are 100,000 refugees in the pipeline. If we are to settle them in America, the cap can be no less.

   And, I know we have a surge at the southern border. I know many of the children are in need of being reunited with family already in the U.S. I know many have parents left behind and can see we should be inviting the parents to join them. I know at least some are probably orphans. Would we turn them away? Let all the children in. All of them -- and their parents, when their parents have lingered behind. 

   Are there other caps, those that are specific to our southern border? If an executive order is all that is needed, increase those caps. Are we too set in our bureaucratic way of doing things? Do we set hearing dates six months ahead when we can and should just process them and grant them stay in a 72-hour window right at the border? Process them in 72 hours and connect them with their relatives here, all within 72 hours. Someone will have to tell me why this cannot be done. And, they will have trouble convincing me it can't.

  I will back-step just for one thing: Do background checks on them. If some teenagers are verified to be MS-13, do not let them enter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment