Sunday, May 16, 2021

Can't They Trace these Calls?

   When notice arrived in my email questioning a purchase, I thought it was valid. A detective had contacted me weeks earlier, saying he was investigating a fraud connected to my address, so I thought this must be part of that. 

    Mind you, I've seen phishing expeditions in the past, but this one caught me off guard. 

    I immediately called and thanked them for catching it. Did I want them to honor the $1,499 charge? Of course not! The guy started explaining what needed to be done, and the steps we were taking were leading to him having remote access to my computer. I stopped him at the very last step, and told him I was expecting two calls and would have to get off the line. He said he would call back in two hours.

    I called the cops. The officer said he had had a call from the same people. They were just phishing for my personal information. Happens all the time. I told him they would be calling back two hours later, wondering if he would want to listen in. He didn't. Now, that I don't understand. Isn't there such a thing as tracing the calls? 

   So, the point of this little story, is why don't they trace those calls? Can't they? I know there is something I must not be aware of. But, knowing only what I know, I can't understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment