Thursday, September 16, 2021

Don't Remember Too Much Spanking from My Parents

    Comes the meme on Facebook: "Sorry but I have to disagree with people who are totally against spanking. them. I wasn't abused. I was DISCIPLINED. *Re-post if you got your butt smacked and survived. This is one reason kids to My parents spanked my behind. I don't hate them. I didn't have trust issues with them because of it. I didn't fear them. But sure respected them! I learned what my boundaries were and knew what would happen if I crossed them. I wasn't abused, I was DISCLIPLINED. *Re-post if you got your butt smacked and survived. This is one reason kids now a days have no respect for ANYONE!"

   To which I replied: "I don't remember too much smacking from my parents. I imagine there must have been some, albeit I am not remembering it. Still, I and my sibs turned out okay. I'm not sure spanking is a must-do thing. I look to the scriptures, to see how the prophets raised their children. Did Lehi ever tag Laman and Lemuel?"

   Then, remembering the adage, "Spare the rod and spoil the child," I further reply: "The three Proverbs on the topic are worthy of note. 13:24 'He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.' 23:13-14 'Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell.' And, 29:15 'The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.' These scriptures link reproof with the 'beating.' Their point is that you need to correct and teach the child, or he will not grow up right. If some parents choose not to spank their children, I think those children can turn out okay. I would guess if we were to ask around, a lot of people -- fine people -- would say their parents didn't spank them a whole lot." 

No comments:

Post a Comment