Friday, September 10, 2021

Help the Afghans without Running Up the National Debt

    I lift my eye when I hear the Biden administration will ask Congress for $6.4 billion to bring 95,000 Afghans to America and assist in resettling them.

   Why the large expense? Put them on planes or ships and get them here. Often as not, they can probably buy their own tickets. Resettlement? Charities are jumping to help. They need our contributions, true. But, whoever pays for it, how does it come to $6.4 billion? A billion is 1,000,000,000. That's quite a collection of zeroes in that number. So, we take $6.4 billion and we divide it by 100,000 (using it as the rough number -- easier to work with -- for the 95,000 refugees). I'm not good at math, so if you find I'm wrong, that's cool. Still, I'm showing that's roughly $6,500 per refugee. 

   Too much? I love the immigrants. I love them bunches. But, I do not like deficit spending. I believe the refugees can be brought to America using our charities. I have not yet donated, but will donate a very small sum this coming week. Utah is fortunate to be receiving a number of these Afghan refugees and Catholic Community Services is among the organizations helping them. If each of us were to donate just a very small amount, we could help these people without running up the national debt.


No comments:

Post a Comment