Tuesday, April 11, 2023

I Almost Become an Abortionist -- but, then . . .

   Okay, I just got onboard with abortion -- kind of, sort of, in a way. . . . well, not quite. 

   A baby becomes viable outside the womb at 24 weeks, so how about allowing abortions at that point? I know the practice of abortion traditionally goes the opposite way: If you are going to abort, abort early -- say before week 20.

  But, there's always room for change, innovation, and throwing a monkey wrench into the way things are done. I come close to saying, do it -- then back down. If an ultrasound and everything else indicates the baby can survive well outside the womb, then allow the abortion. 

  Did you catch that? I said if the baby can survive. Only then can you abort it. Since a full-term pregnancy is not complete until 40 weeks, this allows the baby to be born up to 16 weeks ahead of schedule. I call it a "living abortion." And, if the parents don't want the baby, it can be taken in and adopted by someone who does. 

  Yes, there's already a practice in place that is somewhat like this. There are already "born-alive" laws in some places -- laws that say if the baby is born alive, you have to take care of it. This would be a lot the same. 

  Then, I run across another piece of information. If the baby is not allowed to go all but full-term -- if a c-section is performed at like week 39 -- the new-born might have health complications either at birth or later in life.

   Sounds to me like the fetus is not fully viable at 24 weeks, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment