Monday, April 10, 2023

Judges and Jails Are Something We Need a Lot More Of

    Judges and jails are something we need a lot more of. 

    I went to the bank today. Tried to withdraw $3,000. Was told my account did not have that much. I ask what withdrawals there had been. I was told there was $100 that someone had taken -- and the name of the person was right on the transaction. 

   That made it easy. When I reported the crime, the officer told me the person would be arrested . . . but also told me she would be in and out of jail in a hurry. I asked why. Was it because our courts are too jammed and our jails are too packed?

   Yep. 

   To me, bank fraud is no small deal. It's a serious breach of the law. To tell me that our system has not the time nor the space to deal with it tells me a lot -- it tells me we have a grave and humongous flaw in our judicial system.

   Not a minor one, a major one.

   If the courts and prisons need more money to handle the load, we should jump to give it to them. While everybody is running around discussing important issues, this one is being ignored? This one is about as large as any of them. If your system of laws is collapsing, it becomes pretty important to address that. Both the courts and the prisons should be screaming at our legislators to give them more money.

   And we, as the populace, should be no less silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment