Thursday, June 22, 2023

It Depends on Whether They Learn to Love Each Other


Love of country doesn't means love of neighbor, does it? I mean, you can be a patriot without being a peacemaker, right?

It depends. It depends on where you find your enemies. It depends. It depends on whether you believe in forgiveness. 

You've got to understand, forgiveness is not for politics. Forgive thy neighbor? That's a good phrase for a Sunday sermon, but it has no practicality, no application in real life -- and certainly no application in political life. You can hardly expect us to love Democrats if we are Republicans, or to forgive Republicans, if we are Democrats.

No, it just doesn't work that way. You've got to learn to leave that do-good stuff at church. Wake up and smell the coffee. And then, if that coffee's hot enough, spill it all over thy neighbor Democrat or thy neighbor Republican.

Politics isn't a peacefest; it's a slugfest. If you're not willing to get bloody, you'll never survive. And, if you aren't willing to make the other guy bloody, you're a poor teammate and we don't want you on our team. We live by Clint Eastwood's maxim: make my day, not by some silly song saying, I'll give you a daisy, a daisy; I'll love you until . . . 

I'll love you until I get out of church. And the only daisies I have for you are the ones I'll place on your grave. 

Can a Republican be a Christian? Can a Democrat? It depends. It depends on whether they learn to love each other.

(Note: I write much of this in jest, or sarcastically. I hope you do not conclude I actually have these sentiments.)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment