Saturday, November 25, 2023

We License Lawlessness by not Punishing People Who Steal $100

   Scenario: Victim named Paige allows friend to use her cell phone. On the phone, there is an app where she places money. (I'm not good with understanding apps, but I am told it is called a cash app.) The friend gets into the app and steals $100.  Paige calls police. Police say there is nothing they can do: it's a civil matter.
   No, it's a crime. Stealing $100 is a crime. Call it petty theft or call it what you want, but it's a crime. Our courts might be so overloaded they cannot deal with such cases, but it is a crime.
   Hire more judges. 
   Hire more prosecutors.
   Hire more police officers.
   Whatever it takes, do something.
   When my friend Paige told me of the theft, I urged her to call the cops, I told her, yes, I wanted her to have justice with the lady who stole the money from her. But I also wanted to see what cops would do. I knew -- I knew they would file a report and that would be the end of it, but I wanted to see if that, indeed, would be all that came of it, just to verify what a deep hole our legal system has fallen  into.
   Taking $100 off of someone's cash app? It's called theft. Yes, officer, it is a crime. The idea behind having police officers in the first place is to protect us from crime. You aren't doing it; you aren't protecting us. If we allow elements of our society to go free when they commit crimes, we license lawlessness. We are not a third-world country; America should be a country where the law is enforced. 
   But a lot of the time, it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment