Friday, February 17, 2012

Corporate Personhood has its Following

I shake my head and shiver to think there is a movement afoot to take free speech away from corporations, amending the Constitution to deprive them of all their constitutional rights.

No, don't take it from anyone and don't take it from any group, I say.

And, I consider it such an outlandish movement that surely it will not gain traction.

But, am I wrong? Are people lining up in support of such an amendment?

I debate the issue on Facebook, and find myself a minority, others favoring the end of "corporate personhood."

I hear of the Los Angeles City Council having passed a resolutions calling for the constitutional amendment.

I watch a video of Bill Moyers applauding and embracing the amendment.

And, Moyers notes voters in Missoula, Mont., have called for the amendment, by a whopping 75 percent. And, voters in Boulder, Colo., by a similar majority. And, voters in two counties in Wisconsin.

Am I wrong, then, to think this thing surely could not gain widespread support?

I shake my head and shiver.

(This post rewritten Feb. 18.)

No comments:

Post a Comment