Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hatred Never Ends Well

Wanted to stop the radio, ask it to back up, and find out who just gave that quote.

I was listening to news about Josh Powell, who, I would guess you've heard, murdered his two children in conjunction with committing suicide. As the KSL radio announcer was concluding, she said something to the effect, "Hatred never ends well." I snapped to attention, thinking it such a wonderful quote that I should put it on my list of 100 best quotes

I don't know how much hatred filled Josh's mind, in all these months since his wife disappeared, that he should take the lives of his own children. Nor can I but imagine what hatred might have filled the person's mind to lead them to kill Josh's wife.

But, I would like to think I do not hate Josh, though my heart is as sick as sick can be over what has happened.

And, I wonder if things might have turned out better if someone had just reached out to Josh with some love. Can you imagine living in a world that hates you. I mean, the whole world around you, not just those you know, but strangers who see you and recognize you, saying, "Ahh, that's Josh Powell, the guy in the news who probably killed his wife."

I'm sure a lot of his family remained loving, but I would imagine beyond them there was little love.

No wonder one of the last messages he left was that he was sorry, but he just couldn't go on.

As I listened to KSL, they told how he had seemed better, more friendly of late. That should have been a warning, as psychiatrists suggest people with problems often get more accepting and make you wonder if they are getting better just before they really go off.

And, did Josh ever go off.

I think of the multiple messages Josh sent out, at the end, saying goodbye to the world. I wonder if part of him wanted someone to call 911 and save him from his act. It turns out, 911 was called, but officers did not get there in time.

I wonder what if in his final days, someone had told him they loved him, just a simple, "I love you, Josh." Could some small act like that have altered what happened, saving Josh and his two sons?

Hate kills. Love saves.

I did finally find who gave the quote. It was Josh's sister, Alina Powell. The more complete quote is: "Josh and his boys spent more than two years being crushed alive by hate, harassment and abuse. None of us could have anticipated the devastating tragedy that took place Sunday, but what this unimaginable loss shows is that hate will never end well. Hate kills."

Nothing  justifies what Josh Powell did. Nothing could. Heinous it was, grevious and terrible. But, that does not mean showing love toward him would have been wrong. Loving others is right. I think of a scripture that speaks of loving all men, as in all, and that would leave no one out. I wonder at what would have happened to Josh, given love, and wonder but what I should not show more love to more of those I know.

(Updated Feb. 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment