Saturday, April 21, 2012

Ahead in Dimes 10-1 not Enough to Secure Victory

Okay, what did we learn today?

From the conventions, and whether the caucus-convention system is a good thing.

Some say, you know, that since we are a Republic, the caucus system is the way to go, as it allows us to elect someone at the caucus meeting who goes on to convention and votes on our behalf.

The American way.

Well, we learned it is hard to run a survey to determine who will win. I heard that said this past week, and I think I know one reason why it is so. The candidates make their speeches, swaying votes this way and that, and all the campaigning to that point often goes out the window. Money spent, money lost.

As a person who does not like money running politics, I like this.

I understand Mia Love and Scott Howell both gave good speeches. Both won.

I'm told Orrin Hatch outspent Dan Liljenquist 10-1. Hatch did dominate in convention, but failed to get the 60 percent necessary to eliminate Liljenquist. Now, 60 percent would seem a likely achievement when you outspend your opponent by such a resounding margin, but it didn't happen.

Victory, then, for the small-budget contender.

Well, I remain with mixed feelings on the caucus-convention system. If the participation that was experienced in the caucuses a month ago was the norm, I would say do not (and do not and do not) get rid of them. It was too precious to see people there, caring and involved in the process and enjoying.

But the thing I do not like about the caucus-convention is this: We go to the caucuses in the name of being involved, only to hand over our right to vote to a political activist. My feeling has been: I'll cast my own vote, if you don't mind. Thank you.

My thoughts on the caucus-convention system have been tempered of late not only by observing this year's process, but also by being out campaigning. Too often do I run into those who simply do not show any desire to be involved. I can understand how they might, then, be willing to elect someone to study out the candidates for them.

Trick is, though, for the most part, those who would just as soon someone do the studying for them are not likely to even show up for the caucus meeting.





No comments:

Post a Comment