Monday, April 9, 2012

Free Enterprise Wonderful, but not Perfect

In all our love for capitalism, we must not think it perfect.

Nor must we think the free-enterprise system without flaw.

Years ago, a doctor up in Bountiful told me I definitely needed neck, high-back surgery. I declined, and have been healthy ever since (in that part of my body). There is an error in our system. If the doctor who performs the surgery is the same as who makes the diagnosis, he is going to be inclined to call for surgery.

Months ago, I had my car in at Pep Boys. Their electronic diagnosis said I needed a new alternator. They were ready to do it, but it occurred to me if my battery was not going dead, how was it that the alternator was going out? That was such a natural question that it seems Pep Boys should have been asking it, before I did, instead of justifying charging me hundreds of dollars for a new alternator.

I write that off, too, as an example of private enterprise being too anxious to make a dollar at my expense.

I'm sure you, the reader, have stories of your own.

Free enterprise is wonderful, but not perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment