Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Do We Remove Parent Just for Drugs?

Yes, I do believe a parent on drugs is not a healthy environment for a child, and society is not wrong to step in.

If you are to talk about rights, do not overlook the rights of the child. A child cannot opt out of a bad environment on his or her own. If society does not protect the child, it will not be protected. I argue that a child has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness -- and if the parent is endangering that right, protecting the child is in order.

Oh, but, I do waver. Not that something should not be done to protect the child, but is that something the removal of the parent from the home? Taking a parent out of the home is a precarious thing. Taking a family apart is a precarious thing.

I can only say I think on it tonight, wondering if the safety of the child warrants such a move. I am not imagining how else society (okay, government) can step in other than removing the parent.



No comments:

Post a Comment