Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Obama to Sit Down with Romney?
   A favorite part of President Obama's press conference today, for me, was his saying he wanted to sit down with Mitt Romney and get some advice.
   "There are certain aspects of Governor Romney's record and his ideas that I think could be very helpful," the president said. ". . . There are a lot of ideas that I don't think are partisan ideas but are just smart ideas. . . . I'm not either prejudging what he's interested in doing, nor am I suggesting I've got some specific assignment. But I -- what I want to do is to -- is to get ideas from him and see if -- see if there are some ways that we can potentially work together."
   Wouldn't mind it if that working together meant Romney would be the secretary of labor, or commerce, but Obama did say he was not suggesting some specific assignment. The significant thing to me, though, about what Obama's comments is that he was reaching out to the opponent he just defeated for advice, which seems to be a very magnanimous offer. His willingness to reach across the aisle, to take advice from a foe, to  find solutions wherever they can be found, seems to indicate high moral character in our president. 

No comments:

Post a Comment