Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Higher Law is Don't Trash Thy Neighbor

This Living the Higher Law Will Not be Easy

I've long known that when Christ came, he instituted a higher law, but I don't think I've been alone in not knowing exactly what that higher law is. When asked, I would often say something like, "Well, for one thing, they had animal sacrifices back in Old Testament times, and now we just offer up a broken heart."
   
Now, if Christ had spelled out what the higher law was, maybe mentioning just six or seven things that are in it, would I even know what those six or seven things are? I mean, if it is the law for me, doesn't this higher law become  something I will be judged on, the code of conduct I am expected to live by? And, if this is so, shouldn't I know exactly what the higher law is? If it is my law, it becomes my goal. How can I go through the whole of my life without having a very clear idea of just what is expected of me?

Well, I might not be ready to tell you every thing in the higher law, but a week or two ago, I realized at least much of it is right there in the scriptures, memorized by few despite its importance.

I am now memorizing what is in it.

Once, it was said, Thou shalt not kill. But now, the law for me, is that I must no longer speak of someone I know as being a fool. I must no longer hold him (or her ) in derision or contempt. I can no longer even get angry at someone without cause. I would guess this means I should not say things like, "Tom over there is losing it," or, "That guy is an idiot."

My, my, this is quite a large bill, if this is what is expected of me. A higher law, indeed, and I can only pray and hope and try. This is much to be expected of me. The higher law says I should not even get angry with someone without cause. I wonder if at least some of the "righteous" indignation I feel is something I should let go of.

The higher law means no divorcing except for cause of fortification. 

And, it was once said that we should not commit adultery. Now, the higher law says I shouldn't even look on a woman to lust after her. This sends many of us scurrying, wondering what that means. For me, and how I think I will interprete it, when I see a beautiful woman, I want to leave it at that and go no further. No taking of a deep breath, no uttering, "Ouch," underneath my breath, and no second glance.

The new law means I should agree with my adversary quickly.

The new law means I should not only not forswear myself except in God's name, but I should not forswear at all. I can only hope I am interpreting this right when I consider ways we sometimes use God's name to proclaim how things will or should be. 

"If you do that, so help me God, I'm going to make sure you don't get that position." Better if I were just to use the yea-yea or nay-nay approach and say, "Oh, my friend, no, it is not a good thing to do that. It might risk whether you get the position."

Or, how about,  "In the name of God in His Heaven, I ask you not to do that"? Better that I just gently say, "No. I'm asking you not to do that."

The old law said an eye for an eye. Maybe that is like saying, "Fight, but just fight fairly," or "Don't hit them unless they hit you first." The new law is if they take something from me, I'm to give them something else, also. The new law is that if a person asks me for a ride to the corner, I'm to give him a ride all the way to his house.

The old law said for me to love my friends, but it was understandable if I hated my enemies. The new law says I am to bless those who curse me. i am to do good to those who hate me. I'm to pray for those who disrespect me and treat me despitefully. If someone speaks ill of me, or steps in the way of my doing something, or whispers a rumor against me, those are people I am to seek out and do something good to them.

Ahh, this higher law: It will not be easy to keep. I notice after the scriptures spell out what is in it, there is the passage, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect," and I note how it has been suggested that that was a reference to being complete, and whole.

That is probably accurate. Coming after such a code as is spelled out in the higher law, I wonder at how complete and perfect I must be. I can hardly be a more complete person than if I live the higher law, and I can hardly be a more perfect one.

No comments:

Post a Comment