Friday, April 26, 2013


We Should Consider Whether Bashar al-Assad Will Change

   I don't believe in firing people. My thought is, if you can get them to do the thing right, keep them. Now, if they simply refuse to do things right, you might have to fire them. But try to get them to change, first.
   So, what of Bashar al-Assad, president of Syria? Should we rein in our warring with him, after negotiating changes in the way he treats his people? If we think we can change him, we should. Our intelligence people probably have a better handle on whether he is reformable. So, if it were up to me, I'd listen to them before making a decision.
   I'd love to see Syria become a democracy, but I do not know we should go to war to achieve that end. And, that leaves at least two possible reasons for our involvement in the war: 
   One, if the majority of the Syrian people support his ouster, then we are supporting them. (I believe if this is the reason for war, it might not be good enough reason. The matter is theirs. But, if there is a promise of democracy, I might change my mind.)
   Two, his crimes against humanity are dark enough to warrant change. (Certainly chemical warfare prompts a want to pull the trigger on him. But, I still say if we, sizing up the situation, believe he might change, then we should go that route, instead. And, even if we can't see him changing, I believe we should consider not being involved in the are. Lives are being lost. War is not better than peace. And, yes, we are meddling in another nation's affairs. Should we be?)

No comments:

Post a Comment